Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Review

Ugh! I really need to post these reviews sooner. This film has been in theaters for over a month now and I've waited too long for this post this thing... oh well. Now it's time for Part II of the super-popular Hunger Games series, based on the equally-popular young adult novels by author Suzanne Collins. Can't say I have personally bought into their hype... mainly because I was one of the few movie-goers who considered the first film an overrated letdown. Back in March of 2012, I wrote what was arguably my most controversial review, giving the first film only 2 out of 5 stars with a relatively scathing send-up. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what this series is at least trying to do, the first film had some ambitious ideas (for a young adult series anyways), a strong female lead helming a generally solid cast, and one or two stand-out moments. Unfortunately it was let down by questionable direction, derivative story elements, hit-and-miss pacing, underdeveloped characters, terrible camerawork, sub-par special effects, and bland action. After two repeat viewings plus reading the first novel (which, by the way, is just okay) to see if there was something I missed, my opinion hasn't changed. I can't quite call the film terrible... but I was not impressed. I knew this would be a controversial opinion, as was soon proven by the abundance of hate mail I received, but I stand by it. So yeah, can't say I've been looking forward to it's sequel, Catching Fire, but I was willing to give it a shot, namely because of some new and more promising story elements plus a new director who actually knows how to direct action. Now after finally seeing the thing, here are my thoughts...

The film takes place one year after the events of it's predecessor. After winning the 74th annual Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) have been touring the twelve lower-class Districts in the upper class Capital's mandatory "Victor's Tour." Both Katniss and Peeta reluctantly continue to stage their "love story relationship" for the masses, despite Katniss having a real love, Peeta genuinely having feelings for Katniss, and that many District residents never bought into the charade in the first place. Fearing an uprising, President Snow (Donald Sutherland) threatens Katniss into continuing the act, meanwhile scheming against her to destroy her influence among the District residents. He plans to do so at the 75th Hunger Games, where instead of kids/teens fighting to the death, instead recruits previous Hunger Games victors and pits them in a sort of Tournament of Champions to the death... Katniss and Peeta included. Now, they all must re-train, make friends, make enemies, and fight for their lives.

So right up front, is the film good or is it another let down? Well, unlike the time I saw the first movie, in which I pretty much disliked from the get-go, I've been feeling more conflicted about Catching Fire. I'll admit that there are some parts of this film I genuinely liked, though there were more than a few bits that left me saying, "Really... that's it?" In the end, it ultimately culminates to be a generally decent film, but I'm still not quite sold on the series as a whole. I will say this much, I actually really liked the basic set-up. The first act gets you hooked, the stakes are higher, the satire is better developed, and the way in which the games were set up this time around had some real promise. Unfortunately, it all culminates to a disappointing finale plus some lingering problems from it's predecessor that still haven't been resolved. Ugh... I hate it when that happens. It's not like I went into this film with high expectations or anything like that, but I was genuinely surprised to see just how, despite an abundance of storytelling issues, I found myself invested in the premise... until we actually got to the games themselves. That almost makes me even more upset than I was about the first flick. Sure I didn't like the first one, but it never did much to get me interested in the first place, so I didn't feel that "let down" per se. Catching Fire actually got my hopes up for a bit and then just shot them down... damn!

Okay, so I mentioned that there were some lingering issues from the predecessor that still plagued this sequel. As I mentioned in my review of the original, I was never a fan of how it chose to frame the "good" and "evil" characters. By this I'm referring to the fact that the "good" characters are portrayed as these working class, traditional, or salt of the Earth-like normal folk while the "evil" Capitol citizens are all portrayed as goofy, campy, foppish, and dressed in these over-the-top outfits. Out of all the hate-mail I received, those bits of criticism were probably thrown back in my face the most. I've tried to wrap my around why this kind of storytelling might work, but I'm sorry, no matter how I look at it, I still think it's an incredibly cheap and lazy way to portray it's characters. Not only does it fail to bring any real depth to the characters, but it's just a cheap way to divide the line between good and evil. Plus, the way it portrays "normal" or "down to earth" characters as good while the those portrayed as flamboyant or goofy as evil (or at least misguided) has some really unfortunate implications on how we as people view society. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's there.

As I did mention before, there are some things in the flick that I really did enjoy. The whole setup and first act are good... damn good actually. Okay, well the political and social aspects of the flick still feel more than a bit flawed, but the way in which it continues the story and attempts to further explore it's themes and messages was commendable. The whole "Tournament of Champions" concept, unfortunately, did basically serve as a means to just re-tread the basic plot of it's predecessor, but Katniss competing with a bunch of seasoned veterans at least served as a logical means to raise the stakes. Plus... I really dug the tributes this time around, and how each of them had some unique personality trait or skill. One of my biggest complains with the previous film was how most of the tributes were basically just personality-deprived victim fodder for the games, with even less character than you're typical slasher flick line-up. Here, that's different... you have a tribute that files her teeth into sharp fangs to bite her target, there are two tech-wizards that kill people with science, there's a mute old lady who rides on the back of her younger male companion, and the list goes on. The film also scores hugely once again thanks to the efforts of it's stellar cast, namely Jennifer Lawrence. Lawrence was solid in the previous flick, don't get me wrong, but she totally hit it out of the park here, delivering an even more moving and intense performance as Katniss, capturing the trauma of someone who experienced great pain but with the strength to push through whatever challenges come before her. If nothing else, between a great cast and a stellar first act, I found myself hyped to see what would happen next. Unfortunately, what would come next was not nearly as awesome as I had hoped.

If there was one thing that actually did get me kind of excited about Catching Fire, it was Francis Lawrence directing. While Lawrence is by no means a great director, he's at least shown that he has a good eye for directing stylized action scenes, as evidence by two of his previous films, the underrated Constantine and the overrated I Am Legend (not a good film, but not without it's stylish moments). Once the film actually gets to the Games... I couldn't have felt more let down. Most of the said tributes bite it off screen, and don't really get to show off their special skills/traits. Plus, it ultimately culminates into a predictable pattern consisting of an obstacle followed by a chase. The obstacles range from a poison fog, killer baboons, crazy birds, and a few others, but generally come off as uninspired. I suppose these scenes are a step up from the first, namely how this time there's not as much shaky cam and they at they least came up with obstacles slightly more creative than the poorly rendered Zuul dogs from the first. At the very least, the film ended on a pretty exciting cliffhanger that I have no doubt will get all the fans stoked for the next one. Granted, there was one big character reveal/twist that was hardly a surprise, but that's a minor gripe I suppose. Still, with all the hype and great buildup in the first half, I expected way more than what we got in the finale.

So overall, how was the movie? As I mentioned before, it's a decent film.... not great but not bad. I'm not going to say that I've become a fan of this series, but I will give it credit for at least delivering some strong moments and ambitious satire even if the writing is still flawed and the third act was the very definition of anti-climactic. Still, I'll take what I can get, and what we got here was, at the very least, watchable. I'll take that over the mediocrity of it's predecessor any day.

My Score: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment