Friday, January 13, 2012

Drive - Review

You know what folks... I suck! I have completely negated the whole reason I started this blog in the first place, to help contribute to worthwhile films playing in theatres (especially under-the-radar films like Drive). I imagine Drive probably isn't even playing in many theatres anymore, which is even more disappointing considering it had a pretty limited release in the first place. I'm sure I've waited far too long to be able to persuade any potential readers of this blog to see this incredibly awesome movie, so I'm going to start by saying one thing. If you are reading this, and Drive is playing in your local theatre... stop reading and go see it RIGHT NOW! You won't regret it!

The film stars Ryan Gosling playing an unnamed man simply credited as the Driver. He is a mysterious and elusive person who seldom speaks and lives by himself in his tiny low-rent Los Angeles apartment. He works as a mechanic and Hollywood stunt driver while moonlighting as a getaway driver. He's an expert at practically everything he does... a genius mechanic, a top-notch stuntman, and a keen getaway who never gets caught and never works with the same client twice. One day, his auto-shop employer Shannon (Bryan Cranston) makes a deal with a mobster named Bernie (Albert Brooks) for a stock race car in which the Driver will take the wheel. At the same, the Driver strikes a friendship with with his neighbor Irene (Carey Mulligan) and her son Benicio (Kaden Leos). He helps them out in any way he can while Irene's husband Standard (Oscar Issac) is serving time in prison. Suddenly, with little warning, the Driver finds himself caught in the middle of a mob conflict between Bernie's mafia, setting their sights on him as well as Shannon and Standard, forcing the Driver to fight for himself and those he cares for.

You know what I love about this movie? Just about everything actually. It's a character driven action-drama that pays homage to many films that came before yet stands on it's own as a unique and compelling contemporary film. It's hard to precisely explain what kind of movie Drive is. It's partly film noir, part art house, somewhat experimental... and a straightforward drama too. It takes cues from many different movies, the first of which most have drawn comparisons to would be the 1968 Steve McQueen thriller, Bullitt.

Others may include 60s and 70s gangster movies like Point Blank, or 80s cop thrillers like Miami Vice, or even classic westerns like The Man with No Name films starring Clint Eastwood. It's a dynamic style, with all of it's cues seamlessly coming together to create something so familiar yet very unique. The cinematography is top notch. It has well framed shots with a good sense of composition and interesting color correction. The action isn't too erratic either, but rather well framed and easy to follow. The soundtrack is awesome too, arguably the best of the year. I'll probably have to download the music on iTunes soon. Make no mistake, there's no denying the inherent awesomeness of Drive's creatively stellar style.

As far as the casting... let's just say that it all just works! I've never been a huge Ryan Gosling fan, but he's really started to grow on me after I saw him in this movie and another film from this year, The Ides of March. There's a certain subtlety to his performance in Drive that I found quite compelling. He doesn't have much dialogue, but every time he's on screen, he owns his role. You can see that there is something going on in his mind, and without spoiling the ending, let's just say that Gosling gave one of the most interesting performances of the year. Mysterious, dark, and driven are probably the three best words to describe Gosling here. It's hard to say whether the film's subject matter will end up turning off the Academy from giving Gosling an Oscar nod, but I'm really hoping he gets recognized for this performance.

The other stand out performance would have to go to Albert Brooks as the mob boss Bernie Ross. Unlike the subdued and quiet Gosling, Brooks is vocal and animated (but not too over-the-top). He's one of the more interesting mob boss characters I've seen in a while, because, like Gosling's character, there's something dark and mysterious about Ross too, but in a different way. To reveal what I mean would be something of a spoiler, but there's definitely something driving him that you can't see right away. Is he totally evil, are his intentions ill, or is he just a businessman? Brooks plays his character to a tee, and should hopefully net an Oscar nomination as well. The rest of the cast is all solid. Bryan Cranston (who is finally getting some good roles) does his usual solid job. Carey Mulligan plays the love interest Irene and gives a good performance as well. The great Ron Perlman also has a few scenes as rather intimidating mob hitman... good casting there. No real complaints about the acting, everyone was generally good if not great.

As far as complaints... to be honest, this is another one of those movies that I don't really have anything negative to say. Some criticism I kept hearing about was regarding the ending and a questionable choice made by the Driver. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that it never really phased me, nor did it strike me as odd. It seemed like a logical conclusion and I felt like it wrapped up the story well. It is a rather violent film, with a particular shift in tone of the violence in the 3rd act. It comes somewhat out of left field and might turn some people off. None of this bothered me personally, but for those who aren't a fan of blood or brutality may be a little bothered by some of it. Those who can stomach their violence shouldn't need to worry about it. Overall, I can't think of anything I disliked about this movie, it's pretty damn close to perfect.

In short, Drive is easily one of the best, possibly the best, film of 2011. I dug the hell out of the movie's concept, style, and performances. I only regret not posting this review sooner. If you missed it in theatres, then definitely check it out when its on Blu Ray and DVD! This is one I'll be adding to my collection the day it comes out!

My Score: 5 out of 5!

2 comments:

  1. I, personally, wouldn't mind any spoilers to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally try not to post spoilers. I only discuss them if I feel like the ending has a significant effect on my opinion of the film that needs to be discussed. With Drive, I didn't feel like it was necessary to disclose the ending but rather just allude to it without actually revealing anything.

      Delete