Monday, September 24, 2012

Cosmopolis - Review

This movie is... going to be a real challenge to review. Cosmopolis is one of those films that takes a while to sink in after watching, mainly in the sense that I had to try and decipher whether I just watched a profound stroke of genius or a pretentious colossal misfire. After the screening, people would ask me whether I liked it or not, and my response was typically, "I don't know." This was just one of those films that was so weird and bizarre that it forced me to come to terms with what I had just watched. It's been a little over a week now and I feel like I've sat on the film enough to give a proper review. That said, I can't help but feel like this might be one of those films that if I see again, my opinion will probably significantly change (for better or worse). Nonetheless, here are my thoughts on Cosmopolis.

The film stars Robert Pattinson as Eric Packer, a 28-year-old self made billionaire travelling through the busy streets of Manhattan in his stretch limo en route to the barbershop. Along the way, he is visited by an array of colorful characters, who interact with him on a variety of topics ranging from economics, philosophy, death, life, sex, and the list goes on. As he travels, everything about Packer's world and outlook is challenged. How will the day end and how will he react to his discoveries?

I should probably get this out of the way, the movie stars Robert Pattinson, and as you may or may not know... I really can't stand the guy. It's not that I have a vendetta against him per se, it's just that every time I've seen him on screen, the guy has made absolutely no impression whatsoever. It's not just Twilight I'm talking about either, even in other films like Goblet of Fire or Water For Elephants, he has just come off as bland and dull. That said, I think one of the main problems is that in most of his roles, he's generally played dull, dead-serious, straight-man kind of characters (even in the genre films he's been in like Twilight or Harry Potter, the guy's characters have always been dull as dishwasher). You got to wonder if that might change if he was given the chance to star in a more eccentric role, like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, Christopher Walken in The Dead Zone, or James Woods in Videodrome. Hey, wait a minute! All of those films are directed by David Cronenberg, just like this film here! Yeah, this actually might work! To Pattinson's credit, he actually does an admirable job in the role (I'm as surprised as anyone). While I'm not convinced that he's a "good" actor, his emotionless and borderline-psychopathic kind of traits work to his advantage here, allowing him to thrive in a role that could only come from the mind of an equally messed up nut like David Cronenberg. Maybe Pattinson has found his niche, and once his residual good luck from his Twilight fame runs out, the guy might actually have a career after all. I don't want to overpraise the guy, he's by no means great in this, but this is the only film in which I've seen him that didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. That's got to count for something.

Ultimately, what made me want to see this flick was the director, David Cronenberg. He admittedly doesn't have a perfect track record, but what ultimately gets me to keep coming back is Cronenberg's unique and bizarre filmmaking style. Even in the films of his that I didn't enjoy, I at least could find something about them that was engaging and different. His style usually consists of sociopolitical or philosophical themes illustrated through bizarre imagery and grindhouse style violence. While this one is by no means as grotesque as some of his previous outings (it's actually pretty tame compared to films like Videodrome or The Fly), it still has that Cronenberg-esque feel. Everything from the surreal production design, creative camera angles, eccentric characters, off-beat dialogue, and bizarre story screams Cronenberg, and I mean that mostly in a good way. The man's direction serves the movie well, and considering the films's flaws (which I will get into next), in the hands of a lesser director, the film would have probably ended up being a huge disaster. While Cosmopolis is by no means Cronenberg's best movie, it nonetheless showcases many of his strengths.

As mentioned, there is a lot in this movie that doesn't work... and I mean REALLY doesn't work. The film's script boasts a promising premise complete with interesting themes and ideas. The dialogue, particularly the interactions between Packer and his many "visitors" is, for the most part, quite well written. Unfortunately, the movie's pacing is quite abysmal. The film doesn't have a traditional three-act structure, but that, in it of itself, isn't really a problem. Many excellent or classic films, like 2001, The Seventh Seal, or Pulp Fiction have broken away from the status-quo of story structure, but those films had their own distinct storytelling structure that followed a certain sense of rythym (as unconventional as they were). Cosmopolis, in some ways, feels just like a string of random events and scenes, held together by just the most basic thread of a plot. There's little sense of development or rhythm, and by the time the movie ended, I was left wondering what the hell just happened or if anything was really accomplished. It can be serious chore to sit through too, as most of the film is basically just long, sometimes dull, philosophical discussions. While many of the interactions are intriguing, they eventually overstay their welcome, and make you wondering when the damn thing will just end. For those that aren't a fan of slow paced narratives, this one will be a challenge to sit through.

That's about all I have to say regarding Cosmopolis. The ideas are interesting, Pattinson is surprisingly engaging, and Cronenberg's directorial skills are in full effect. If you can handle the slow pacing, odd structure, and overly talky scenes, this one might be worth checking out. Be forewarned though, this movie is definitely not for everyone. If you can't stand overly talky movies with cryptic dialogue and a snail's pace, Cosmopolis probably isn't for you. Take that as you will.

My Score: 3 out of 5!


No comments:

Post a Comment